Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Legacy

Think of a person who has had an impact on your life.

What do you picture about them?

For me, I see the Bible.

I don't have a great long-term memory; I tend to forget things about the past fairly easily.  

But I do hold on to a few very vivid images of my childhood.  

Namely of my father.  

I remember him sitting in his tan recliner in the living room, reading his tattered and note-filled Bible.  I remember him going to his room to pray for long periods of time each day.

My dad is not a loud person. 
He is not showy. 
He does not make himself the center of attention.  
He never does anything for the purpose of others seeing him.  
It is just who he is.  It is how he lives his life.

He does not compromise on his beliefs.  He holds firm in the face of opposition.  
God is everything to him.

He and I may not see eye to eye on many theological points.  That fact has caused some heated debates over the years.  But it has never reduced my respect for him.  If anything, it has sharpened my own beliefs as it has forced me to dig ever deeper so that I can "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks (me) to give the reason for the hope that (I) have. But do this with gentleness and respect..."  I Peter 3:15

I am so very grateful that I grew up in the atmosphere of devotion.  I am so blessed to have been given such a great example of always turning to God, always talking to Him and reading His Word in good times and bad.

I am so thankful to have this wonderful memory of a father who loves his Father.

My dad and I will likely never fully agree on many Biblical details.  But we will always share a respect for one another, a love of the Word, and a desire to know and understand God more fully.

Still to this day, I occasionally sneak a peak into his Bible.  I peruse the scribbled notes, highlighted passages, questions in the margin, and sticky-notes pasted as tabs all throughout.  I hope one day my own children will enjoy doing the same to my Bible.  

I pray that my boys grow up with the memory of me sitting quietly in my chair, a tattered Bible on my lap, my mind focused on my Saviour.  I pray that when asked to give a brief description of me, "Godly" is at the top of the list.

I am so grateful to have been given a legacy of loving God. 
I pray I am able to give that same legacy to the generations to come.

Legacy 
by Nichole Nordeman

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy 

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy 

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one.

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy 

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me... 

No comments: